Breast implant revision surgery, which commonly involves removal and/or replacement of silicone breast implants, is performed to change the size or type of your implants and to correct any complications from your primary breast augmentation. The overall goal is to restore a youthful breast contour and appearance.
According to DocShop.com, the average breast augmentation lasts around ten years before needing replaced. “The Lifespan of breast implants depend on the individual; in some cases, they will need to be replaced within the first couple years after surgery, while others can last as long as 25 years. In general, though, manufacturers of breast implants say the products should last about 10 years, on average”, according to the article.
Here are a few times you might want to consider a breast revision:
- Your saline breast implants have deflated or an X-ray or MRI suggests your silicone implant has a shell leak
- If you want to change your implant/breast size
- If you have tightening of the scar tissue around the implant (capsular contracture) or breast implants have shifted in position
- If your breast tissue has changed as a result of skin stretching or weight loss/gain
What are my options?
Good communication with either one of our board certified plastic surgeons here at Ohio Plastic Surgery Specialists is the key to achieving the results you want. It is up to you to clearly state your aesthetic goals so your surgeon can suggest the right options. During your consultation, you and your surgeon will resolve any issues that you may have. Fortunately, science and technology has greatly evolved in recent years when it comes to breast implants. There are two new types of breast implants (listed below) that are definitely worth talking to our doctors about.
Gummy Bear Implants
- Dr. Grant Stevens, a prominent plastic surgeon in Marina Del Rey, California, coined the term ‘gummy bear breast implants’. The name was given because when these fifth-generation silicone breast implants are cut in half, the implant remains stable and retains its shape, much like the gummy bear candies. These new implants are becoming more popular because they look and feel more like natural breasts.
- In an attempt to mimic the natural shape of the breast, these form stable implants are designed to look like a tear drop, thicker at the bottom and tapered towards the top. To maintain this shape, the silicone gel in the implant is firmer towards the top. They are a cohesive, form-stable gel is stronger against gravity and allows the breasts to keep their intended shape better.
- The gummy bear implants are designed to hold their shape better which will ultimately reduce the amount of times you will need to get a breast lift done, saving you time and money. Doctors are projecting they will last around 15 years. There is no risk of leaking with this type of implant due to the more gel like substance that they are made out of. All implants have a chance of rupturing, but the new gummy bear implants are made with a thicker gel which greatly decreases their chance of rupturing.
After decades of research and testing, MemoryGel® Breast Implants were FDA approved for women in the United States in 2006, this was an important advancement in the field of breast augmentation. MemoryGel® Breast Implants come in either a textured or smooth surface shell and are available in a wide range of sizes and profiles to fit your body. Here are a couple reasons why these are a popular choice for both surgeons and patients:
- Each implant is filled with Mentor’s cohesive gel that holds together uniformly and retains a natural give that better resembles breast tissue
- The implants have a set-fill volume for predictable results
- MemoryGel® Breast Implants comes in four projection options: Moderate Classic, Moderate Plus, High and Ultra High Profile to give you just the look you want
- They come in two shell surface options: smooth and textured
Both the Gummy Bear Implant and the MemoryGel® Implant are great options. They are considered new technology in the breast augmentation world that will leave you with a more natural and longer lasting breast augmentation. If it is time for you to start considering a breast revision, think of it as an exciting time. This gives you an opportunity to rethink the size and the type of implant you want to go with this time around. If you are interested in talking to our doctors or learning more about these types of implants, call our office today 614-682-5095.