What is a BroadBand Light Treatment?
BroadBand Light (BBL) uses intense pulsed light therapy to treat a range of skin concerns: acne, rosacea, age spots, fine lines and wrinkles, and uneven texture. It can also treat spider veins and other small blood vessels, as well as broken capillaries. This is a great treatment to get an even skin texture and younger looking skin however, it does have some special cases where it may cause more harm than good. Here are some of the pros and cons of BBL.
- No downtime- patients will experience redness and peeling for 4-7 days but can return to normal activities if sunlight is avoided
- Helps skin structure- effective for treating a wide range of skin conditions and increasing new collagen production
- Short procedure- compared to other options, this procedure is done pretty quickly; expect to be there about an hour or two
- Use anywhere- the most popular treatment areas are the face, neck, back of hands, chest and shoulders but BBL can pretty much treat any skin
- Untanned skin necessary- the BBL emits broad-spectrum photothermal energy, which is absorbed by melanin in skin which means BBL works best on light, untanned skin.
- As the upper layers of your skin absorb the heat and energy from the light, pigmented skin cells are destroyed and superficial blood vessels in the treated area are closed off. carry a risk of burning, scarring, or creating hyperpigmentation on olive or brown skin.
- Multiple treatments- while patients will see results after one treatment, multiple treatments are recommended for best results
- Scarring- an inexperienced technician can leave scars, no matter the skin color
- Sun care- after BBL treatments, a high SPF is necessary and avoiding sunlight altogether works best
This treatment can make a huge difference in skin texture. By knowing what to watch for and who the best candidates for this treatment are, you can achieve the best results. If you have skin that is more pigmented, BBL may not be the best choice for you but we have other options to achieve the skin you desire! Schedule a consultation to find the best treatment for you.